Monday, August 13, 2012

The Mag #130

Credits: Francesca Woodman

I visited The Magpie Tales weblog today and ran into this wonderful Photograph. It's a mysterious one ... is this human male or female, maybe both or is it a mystical being such as e.g. a mermaid or merman. I can't figure it out. As I look to the hands of this being I surely would say it's a male, but I have read some post of other contributors to The Mag in which it's a female. So what to do?

a neuter image
can't figure it out
it's all humanity

it's all humanity
searching for the truth
finding it


finding it
wasn't easy to do
this is mysterious


this is mysterious
it's a male Venus with his shell
a neuter image


Credits: Sharon Sieben - Venus of Milo
Well ... what do you think of this one?

8 comments:

Brian Miller said...

a male venus with his shell...now there is an interesting thought...

kaykuala said...

A neuter image is no big wonder these days. Gender is at the cross-road. Nicely written, Chev!

Hank

Helen said...

One of my first impressions of the photograph ~~ the hands were masculine .....

Scarlet said...

An interesting take...I never doubted the gender, despite the lack of the face ~

Tess Kincaid said...

A male Venus...interesting...

Unknown said...

I love that you made the prompt mysterious and not what most people perceived. 'All humanity searching for the truth.' So fresh and so different. Thank you for sharing this, Sharon. =D

21 Wits said...

Oh to meet a male venus! The mysterious is so seriously interesting!

Helena said...

Intriguing! A male Venus statue would be most welcome in my house!