Sunday, March 22, 2015

Soaking Wet

Santoka Taneda (1882-1940)
Good day my friends and followers,

This is supposed my weekend off from my duties as a host at Carpe Diem Haiku Kai (CDHK), but ... a weekend without haiku isn't possible ... and while Jen of Blog It Or Lose It is being the host for CDHK this weekend I just had to respond on our Carpe Diem Special of today.
As you maybe know every month we have a featured haiku-poet at CDHK and this month that's Santoka Taneda. Taneda had a very special way of composing his haiku and I love to try that way too. His style than is now known as 'free-style' haiku and that means ... no classical rules even no kigo (seasonword) or the 5-7-5 syllables structure.

In today's Carpe Diem Special the following haiku by Santoka Taneda is our source of inspiration:

shigurete sono ji ga yomenai michishirube

soaking wet
I can’t read the letters
on the signpost
© Santoka Taneda

A wonderful haiku I think and a "real" Taneda as you can see ... no 5-7-5, no kigo, no kireji ... And now it's my task to write/compose a haiku in the same sense, tone and spirit as the one by Taneda. So here is my attempt to write a "free-style" haiku like Santoka Taneda.



Credits: muddy path
I think this has become a nice haiga and the haiku I composed is very much in tune with the "free-style" of Santoka Taneda. And as you can see I haven't used a kigo, kireji or 5-7-5 syllables.

See you later ....

2018 July Re-published it on Carpe Diem's Summer Retreat 2018

5 comments:

Blog It Or Lose It said...

Oh, very cool, Chevrefeuille! And despite the haiku's simplicity it seems that there are several layers here. Nicely done! :D

Unknown said...

I think it is very important to stay true and real in haiku. Maybe that is your best message in your haiku. I must admit two things bother me about haiku sometimes these days - so much interference from the writer, who is putting him or herself - and his or her emotions into their haiku too frequently, and too many esoteric and fantasist words. YYour haiku shows us the path. Even if it is muddy!

Nonnie USA said...

like life, the path can make for slow slogging.

Magyar said...

Just a quick note, to point out a state, of which you are probably aware.
__I've been a long time visitor and a 'long ago' contributor at Wonder Haiku Worlds, a few of my words are in WHW's anthology.
__Sadly, WHW has lost a lot of active participation these past years, and it needs to be enlivened; good luck here, and with your new haiku format. _m

Magyar said...

__?__