Thursday, September 6, 2012

Haiku Heights, Milky Way

Inspired by the theme at


Day 6 of September Heights is on. I have to come with a strong one because I contributed the prompt for today Milky Way.
In ancient times as e.g. at the Inca and Mayan Culture the Milky Way was seen as the womb and birth canal of women and fertility (I don't know if this is the good word). In ancient Japan the Milky Way was called the River of Stars and was also associated with fertility. So the Milky Way is female, but ... Let me look at the scientific way to the Milky Way.

Credits: The Milky Way, it's origin

The Milky Way is the galaxy that contains the Earth. This name derives from its appearance as a dim "milky" glowing band arching across the night sky, in which the naked eye cannot distinguish individual stars. The term "Milky Way" is a translation of theClassical Latin via lactea, from the Hellenistic Greek γαλαξίας κύκλος (pr. galaxías kýklos, "milky circle"). The Milky Way appears like a band because it is a disk-shaped structure being viewed from inside. The fact that this faint band of light is made up of stars was proven in 1610 when Galileo Galilei used his telescope to resolve it into individual stars. In the 1920s, observations by astronomer Edwin Hubble showed that the Milky Way is just one of many galaxies. (Source: Wikipedia)

Credits: The Milky Way

Well.... enough information on the Milky Way ... let's do some haiku writing (smiles).

the heavenly river
seen in the middle of the night
giving birth

giving birth
to billions of stars
the Milky Way

the Milky Way -
I can see the river of stars
through the broken window

through the broken window
I think of Galileo Galilei -
the sun in the middle

the sun in the middle
Earth is dancing around him -
the heavenly river


Hm ... I am not satisfied with this cascading one ... something is missing, but what ...? I don't know. It was a pleasure to write this set of haiku and that's enough ...
By the way I have also posted a September Heights haiku on my wordpress blog Basho2012 for the prompt Milky Way. Follow the link ... dive into my other weblog.


16 comments:

PattiKen said...

I know nothing about cascading haiku, but for me, it's the final haiku. Somehow it doesn't continue the flow. But that said, I still like the set, especially the first two haiku.

Unknown said...

I like it a lot. Especially the third.

Rinkly Rimes said...

http://rinklyrimes.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/in-milk.html

A prompt such as this makes one consider our unimportance!

Barbara said...

I love the image of the heavenly river, it's beautiful, like the milky way!

Hazel said...

A river giving birth - how magical!Galileo just sent Bohemian Rhapsody to my head :)

Chèvrefeuille said...

PattiKen I have tried to re-write the last verse. I think it's now continueing the flow. Thank you for your remark.

a little verse
brings so much joy and friendship
writing together

Jolly said...

I liked the whole set, it had a mix of romantic and scientific ideas and I'm sure Galileo would be pleased to find himself in a haiku :)

Reading Pleasure said...

Nicely done. Thanks for the information, as usual.

Grace said...

A lovely story unfolding of the beautiful creation ~ I like the image of the heavenly river giving birth to stars ~

Unknown said...

A deep and thoughtful post inspired by the prompt. I am left pondering my own ripple in the river of the cosmos...

odyzz said...

the heavenly river...how could you imagine so brilliantly ? loved it..

Rachana Shakyawar said...

How nice, the heavenly River :))

Vinay Leo R. said...

river of stars in a broken window :) love that image Kris. thanks for a challenging yet tricky prompt today.

Teresa said...

I love the prompt you contributed. I think you've truly come up with a great one. I do like the way you've kept the idea of fertility with your haiku.

Anonymous said...

heavenly river ... giving birth ... awesome start to your cascading Haiku!!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Thank you for bringing Galileo into this piece!

Milky Way