Saturday, September 1, 2012

September Heights, day 1: drawbridge

Inspired by the theme at


Well ... this is it ... the kick-off of a new Haiku Heights Challenge. Let's go and have some fun with writing haiku inspired on given prompts.

Another new September Heights Challenge to write an every day haiku on a given theme. I loved doing this last April and I hope this new September Heights will be again a joy to participate in.
Let's go starting the haiku engines (smiles).

Today the prompt given is drawbridge. I think I can write some nice haiku with this one. So ... let's get on with it.

As you know I am living in The Netherlands. We, the Dutch people, have a long history in conquering the waters, but we are also known for our skills in bridge building. In our lovely capital, Amsterdam, we have some well known drawbridges e.g. "De Magere Brug" or "The Skinny Bridge".

Credits: The Skinny Bridge
It's one of my favorite bridges of Amsterdam. So I thought 'maybe I can write a haiku (or two) about this Skinny Bridge'.

walking through the city
crossing the canals of Amsterdam
the skinny bridge

the skinny bridge
here I lost my heart to her
walking through the city

Hm ... not a strong one I think, but that's not up to me to decide ... you my visitors can say what you think about it.

See you tomorrow,

Chèvrefeuille (a.k.a. Basho2012 and Kristjaan Panneman)


26 comments:

ninotaziz said...

Lovely as it focuses on two aspects - the physical and emotions. Thank you Kristjaan!

Unknown said...

Very nice. Lovely set.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Clever haikus!!! Most enjoyable!!! Cathy

Chèvrefeuille said...

Thank you for those nice words you share with me here on my weblog. I was a little insecure on this one, but I understand from your comments that I have succeeded. Thank you so much for visiting my weblog.

Namaste

Barbara said...

Lovely pair. Really enjoyed this , made me smile

knot2share said...

Good start Kristjaan san!

A Hopeless Romantic said...

I liked the romantic touch, you've added to this Haiku.
'here I lost my heart to her'

Anonymous said...

Very evocative bridge, this one. I have a painting of it in my kitchen!

Ramesh Sood said...

I am so happy that you had such a bridge and something beautiful happened there.. KP, for me the word itself was new..my first brush with Drawbridge... I enjoyed creating a haiku and thanks for your nice words..

odyzz said...

Romance in the air..
beautiful!!


Peep in to read ...
http://odizzey.wordpress.com/2012/09/01/haunting-thoughts-drawbridge-haiku/

Diwakar Narayan said...

Could not get the kick. No worries, still 29 to go :-)

Pranita said...

Very sweet! :)

Creepy thorns to glistening petals

Ellecee said...

Enjoyed your haiku very much. Especially the touch of romance. Thank you

Unknown said...

An excellent use of the word Drawbridge to capture an emotional slice of time

Tarun Mazumdar said...

Awww... two hearts met on the skinny bridge.. wow

http://chaigaramchai.blogspot.in/2012/08/drawbridge-haiku.html

Susan Daniels said...

beautiful set.

Someone is Special said...

Back here after a long time to read a fantastic haiku.. Liked the romantic tough you've added to the haiku.. :)

Someone is Special

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I think it would be easy to lose one's heart to this beauty! :)

Drawbridge

joanne said...

I have a lot of time on my hands, so I googles bridges in the Netherlands...wow, such variety and engineering feats! Did you lose your heart to the skinny 'bridge'? (smile)

susanwritesprecise said...

This was a tough prompt for me. I think you did a nice job with it. Very good!

PattiKen said...

I can't think of a better place to lose your heart than a bridge in Amsterdam. Lovely.

Anonymous said...

Romance is in the air ... and an intriguing spot for it to blossom. I visited many many years ago -- it left an impression of delight. Thank you for your visit.

Anonymous said...

I love the way you took us on your walk and memory with you. And only in a few words! Fabulous

Mariya Koleva said...

How wonderful! I love the two aspects of your haiku set. And I love Amsterdam, too :-) [I wish I'd be able to go back there again.]

Best, MK

Hazel said...

May the skinny bridge make your heart stout now that you lost your heart to her.

Teresa said...

I love that you have a real drawbridge for your inspiration. We dont' see many at all around my part of the world.