Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Haiku Challenge day 18



Written for The Haiku Challenge 2012 - Day 18 – February 18th – Theme or Word: Famine

This isn't an easy one to do I think. First I had to find the definition of famine, because I didn't know that word. I found that famine means hunger and starvation. To find another word with the same meaning I search on synonyms for famine and I found the following synonyms: poverty, misery, scarcity and starvation. With those words I think I can write a haiku (or maybe a few haiku), but it is really a tough one. So I hope that the following haiku are OK.

the cold winter
birds in misery
heavy snow

an old cow stable
a place for refugees
what a poverty

scarcity
water birds freezing 
severe winter

Mother Earth cries
every day her inhabitants
starving of hunger

What a sad Challenge today. It wasn't easy and these series of haiku aren't masterpieces I think, but they are all very strong. (By the way: these are written in Kanshicho-style).


Credits: The face of Poverty

Until tomorrow. 




13 comments:

Cloaked Monk/Terri said...

You did a good job with this series and with such a discouraging subject.

Shalom.

Asni said...

A very nice set of haiku. Love the first and the last haiku.

Andy Sewina said...

Mother Earth cries
every day her inhabitants
starving of hunger

Well said!!

Sri Valli said...

Lovely set of haiku...and I loved the last one a lot...

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

When Mother Earth cries, you know things are bad...



A Famine of Ink

... said...

Wonderful Set.
Its same with me,When I find something hard,I come up with lots of them!

carol l mckenna said...

Well done ~ you write so well ~ namaste, carol (A Creative Harbor)

becca givens said...

You did well for a very discouraging subject ~~

Lolamouse said...

You did quite a good job with a very bleak prompt, especially since you weren't familiar with the word.

ninotaziz said...

I loved this Haiku series on famine, and your picture brought it all to reality - not very pretty indeed. Eye opener, surely to the misery still existent in our world today.

Someone is Special said...

'Mother Earth cries
every day her inhabitants
starving of hunger'

Very true.. Loved it so much...

paulo guimaraes said...

Loved them all, especially the last one. Good job.

zongrik said...

what a crazy world we live in

five illusions senryu